What Disease Is The Largest Cause Of Death For American Elderly?
Chronic illnesses, most notably cardiovascular disease and cancer, are the primary causes of mortality among the aged population.
What are the leading causes of death in the US?
- Deaths: The Most Common Causes in 2016 pdf icon The number of fatalities due to the most common causes of death.
- Heart disease affects 647,457 people.
- 599,108 people are affected by cancer.
- Accidents (unintentional injuries) amounted to 169,936 incidents.
- Lower respiratory disorders with chronic manifestations: 160,201.
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383 cases were reported.Alzheimer’s disease has a total of 121,404 cases.
Is heart disease the second leading cause of death for seniors?
- Heart disease is the second biggest cause of mortality among adults between the ages of 45 and 64 years old.
- Cardiovascular disease (often referred to as ″the silent killer″) poses a greater concern than cancer for persons over the age of 65.
- As we reach our 60s, heart disease begins to take its toll on our health and wellbeing.
- Plaques on the inside walls of our arteries have had decades to accumulate at this point in time.